The rivers in and around Newport – the Medina, the Lukely and the Gunville catchments – have been heavily modified in recent history, leaving them with a limited value both to native wildlife and as an amenity for local people. The Group delivers a wide range of improvements to public spaces in town and in the wider riparian countryside, ranging from large scale engineering projects such as the restoration of Towngate Pond to smaller initiatives such as school projects, walks and tree-planting.
Newport Rivers Group meets on a bi-monthly basis. Projects to date include:
- Medina Houseboats
- Non Native Plant Removal on Medina River / Merstone Stream
- Birchmore Pond
- Community Flood Resilience Plan
- Pan Mill Meadows
- Carisbrooke (Eight Bells Pond)
- Pritchett’s Pond
- Towngate and St Cross Mill
- Mill Trail Walk
- Medina River Restoration
- Lukely Brook at Spring Lane Ford
- Gunville Stream
- Bill Sheperd Memories Recording
Newport Rivers Group have issued advice for people living alongside Newport’s watercourses.